Step 1.1

Which Program is right for me?

What is Home Care

The idea of home care is to maintain a person’s quality of life in their home by helping them with their physical needs and daily activities. 

It might be for people who are getting older, are chronically ill, recovering from surgery or who have a disability.  There are two sorts of services, supported by the government. They cover the spectrum of people who can or wish to stay at home.

The Commonwealth Home Support Program

The Federal government’s My Aged Care will ask you some questions over the phone and refer for services requested: either the Commonwealth Home Support Program or the Home Care Package.  Whichever support best suits, you will need to be assessed.  My Aged Care can help with the assessment next steps.  

In Victoria, changes to the Home and Community Care (HACC) program mean access to these services is now based on age. Services for older people (65 and over and 50 and over for Aboriginal people) are now funded and managed by the Commonwealth Department of Health through the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP).  Please see information on CHSP further on.

The Home Care Packages Program

This is for those who have higher intensity needs.  It suits people with ongoing care provided with a Care Management Plan.  There are also supplementary services for those with special needs.

Am I able to receive Home Care?

For most of Australia - and if you are:

  • 65 or older
  • 50 or older and identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person or
  • 50 years or older and on a low income, homeless or at risk of homelessness

Popular Articles

View All Articles
Article Img
Your sense of balance later in life can be crucial – how to improve yours

A fall at a later stage in life can be scary, and can even cause some serious damage. A sense of balance is not something we’re all equipped with, so as you age, falls can be a real sense of anxiety. However, there are lots of things you can do to prevent falling by improving your balance.

Article Img
Retirement village family open their first land lease community

Well-known retirement village family open their first land lease community in Victoria The Gannon family, led by Tom and Michael Gannon, have unveiled 226 homes at the Lucas Lifestyle Estate in Ballarat.

Article Img
73% of Australians willing to sacrifice inheritance for aged care

Nearly three-quarters of all Australians are willing to sacrifice their own inheritance so their parents and grandparents can enjoy the retirement they deserve, according to a new report by B2B aged care service CompliSpace.

Article Img
Volunteers are the backbone of the aged care sector, and more are needed

Tens of thousands of people, of all ages, such as 90-year-old Lily Burns and 20-year-old Charlise Hannagan, volunteer in aged care homes. The Change Makers is the theme for this year’s National Volunteer Week, 15 to 21st May, which celebrates the vital work of volunteers.

A special thanks to our contributors

Jill Donaldson


Jill has been practicing as a clinical physiotherapist for 30 years. For the last 13 years she has worked solely in the Aged Care sector in more than 50 metropolitan and regional facilities. Jill has also toured care facilities in the US and Africa and is a passionate advocate for both the residents in aged care and the staff who care for them. She researches and writes for DCM Media.

Chris Baynes

DCM Media, agedcare101

Chris has been a journalist and publisher in the retirement village and aged care sectors for 11 years. He has visited over 250 retirement villages and 50 aged care facilities both within Australia and internationally. Chris is a regular speaker at industry conferences plus is a frequent radio commentator.

Annie Donaldson

Nurse and Carer

Annie has a long career in both nursing and the media. She has planned and co-ordinated the medical support from both international TV productions and major stadium events. In recent years she has been a primary family carer plus involved in structured carer support.